In order to move into an apartment, you need to enroll in ① ”Liability Insurance” and prepare for ② ”Rent Guarantee”.

Handling period Title of Insurance
Rent Guarantee
Content of coverage Deadline to be renewed What to be enrolled for renewal
~May 2019 Comprehensive Renter’s Insurance for Foreign Students Studying in Japan
※End of handling in May 2019
① and ②
~June 2021 Please enroll in both Comprehensive Insurance for Students Lives Coupled with “Gakkensai” and Coop-Rent Insure
June 2019~
March 2021
University Co-op Student Insurance
※End of handling in March 2019
Required to be confirmed it by yourself. Please enroll in Comprehensive Insurance for Students Lives Coupled with “Gakkensai”
Coop-Rent Insure Automatically renewed after your payment
April 2021~ Comprehensive Insurance for Students Lives Coupled with “Gakkensai” Required to be renewed
Coop-Rent Insure Automatically renewed after your payment


Coverage handled in Osaka University after April 2021

Content of Coverage Title Purpose for Compensation Amount that international students should owe
Liability Insurance Comprehensive Insurance for Students Lives Coupled with “Gakkensai”

・ Movable property for daily use
・ Tenant liability

Rent Guarantee Coop-Rent Insure ・ Unpaid rent
・ Restoration costs when moving out
Full amount (Subrogated performance ※1)

※1 International students have to reimburse the full amount paid by the rent guarantee service.

Comprehensive Insurance for Students Lives Coupled with “Gakkensai”

This insurance guarantees the lives of international students with Personal Accident Insurance for Students Pursuing Education and Research (Gakkensai). It can be used as fire insurance (tenant liability insurance) required when renting a private housing.
-General inquiry and incident report in English
-Simple enrollment procedures
-Reasonable insurance premium by economy of scale (1,320 yen/mo. and up with “Movable property for daily use” and “Tenant liability”)

Comprehensive Insurance for Students Lives Coupled with “Gakkensai”
Web enrollment website

Enrollment: https://tokiomarine.secure.force.com/futaigakuso?id=002920Z

E-mail: futaigakuso.inbound@tmnf.jp

Coop-Rent Insure

A joint guarantor is required when renting a private housing in Japan.
Osaka University recommends using “Coop-Rent Insure” (Joint Guarantor Agency). It is an agency specialized for foreigners, providing Rent Guarantee Service for international students and scholars. You can complete the procedures through the real estate company that mediates the rent contract or at the “MY ROOM” counter for the property handled by CO-OP MY ROOM, Housing Division of Osaka University CO-OP.

As stated above, MY ROOM as the real estate company, also handles properties not requiring a guarantor, so please do utilize it. If you change your rent guarantee and fire insurance (see below for further details) while your rent contract is in the term of validity, please contact them below.

Guarantee charge/content

Guarantee Charge First charge (first year) 12,000 yen (normal type)
Renewal charge (after the second year) 10,000 yen per year
Guarantee Period From signing the contract up to completion of moving out
Guaranteed Limit Up to for 24 months of the monthly rent
Guarantee Content ●Monthly rent: Common service expenses, parking lot fee, fixed water bill, and other expenses to be paid along with the rent
●Restoration cost: For one month of the maximum monthly total rent
●Litigation expense for evacuation: All expenses needed from cancelation of lease contract up until the evacuation
Support Desk Assist in 5 languages: English, Chinese, Korean, Vietnamese, Indonesian

With the use of Coop-Rent Insure, you can continue to live in the same apartment after graduation or completion of study. Please feel free to contact Global Works Co., Ltd. about calculation on a monthly basis.

Coop-Rent Insure

Contact: Global Works Co., Ltd.
TEL: 06-6476-8000 (Japanese)
       06-6733-0564 (English, Chinese, Korean, Vietnamese, Indonesian)
Business hours: 10:00AM-6:00PM (closed weekends, holidays, and New Year’s holidays)
E-mail: info@coop-ri.com
Help Desk for Application: Real estate company that mediates your rent contract
CO-OP MY ROOM (Toyonaka Main Store and Suita Store)

Rules for rental apartments in Japan

Your much understanding of the rules and manners of living in Japan in advance will be helpful to prevent you from meeting troubles. Please see “Rules for rental apartments in Japan ” for the details.

Support Office

Suita Campus:
1-1 Yamadaoka Suita Osaka 565-0871 Japan
(Visa Procedures)
  Tel: +81-(0)6-6879-4750
  Tel: +81-(0)6-6879-4748

INTERNATIONAL PROGRAMS: Osaka University - Global 30

Osaka University

The information on this site is subject to change without notice.
Osaka University accepts no responsibility for any inconvenience resulting from use of the information contained on this site.