3. Medical Services and Insurances

Osaka University Health Care Center

The Health Care Center serves the health and wellness needs of the entire Osaka University community. Please visit following websites for information about their services and activities.

Medical Assistance


Hospitals in Japan are roughly categorized into general, specialized and private hospitals. It is important to find a reliable hospital in your neighborhood. Finding a doctor who specializes in pediatrics should be a priority if you accompany your children. When you go to a doctor, present your National Health Insurance card at the reception and fill in a registration card or a questionnaire about your condition while you wait your turn. After seeing a doctor, you will need to pay the necessary fee and receive your medicine.

If you are given a prescription, you will need to go to a designated pharmacy to pick up the medicine. Many specialized hospitals, especially dental clinics, require an appointment. If you go and see a doctor without an appointment, you may have to wait for many hours.

Medical Consultation in Various Languages

[ Medical Interview Sheet Translation System ]

Medical Interview Sheet Translation System offers the following services. Select your symptoms in English and M3 translates them to the other languages. You can take Medical interview in the selected language on the Internet before going to a hospital. The results will be displayed in two different languages on your demand. Print the results and take them to a hospital or transfer to your cell-phone.

Translatable languages; English→Chinese・Korean・ Portuguese・Indonesian・Japanese・Simple Japanese


Medical Interview Sheet Translation M3

Center for Multicultural Society Kyoto

Multilingual Medical questionnaire System (For Android, for iPhone)

[ The AMDA International Medical Information Center Kansai (Tel: (06-4395-0555) ]

This organization offers a medical consultation service over the phone in foreign languages as follows:

Available Time
English  Monday-Friday 9:00AM – 5:00PM
Spanish Monday-Friday 9:00AM – 5:00PM
Chinese Monday-Friday 9:00AM – 5:00PM 

Also, the following AMDA website (http://eng.amda-imic.com/) offer various pieces of medical information by multiple languages (Japanese/English/Portuguese/Spanish/Chinese/Korean/Thai/Filipino) for foreign residents to get medical services smoothly in Japan.

[ Osaka Information Service for Foreign Residents (OIS) (TEL: 06-6941-2297) ]

This organization was established by the Osaka Prefectural Government in order to provide information and consultation services to foreign residents in various languages. (English, Chinese (Mandarin), Korean, Portuguese, Spanish, Filipino (Tagalog), Thai, Vietnamese, Japanese). Information is available on a wide range of subjects including visa status, work, medical services and welfare programs. Office Hours: From 9:00 to 17:30, Monday to Friday.

E-mail: jouhou-c@ofix.or.jp(Japanese and English only)

[ Center for Multicultural Information & Assistance Hyogo (Location: Kobe) ]

This organization provides advice in multiple languages regarding medical care and health, pregnancy, childbirth, child raising, etc.
(No medical treatment, advice ONLY)

Center for Multicultural Information & Assistance Hyogo

Telephone number: 078-453-7440 or 080-3801-9037

Japanese and English At any time 
Spanish and Portuguese Friday 3:00PM – 8:00PM

It also has “Multilingual Terms regarding Emergencies” which is a PDF list of medical terms in 21 different languages. 
→ The introduction is in Japanese, but there are PDF versions in 20 languages.

[ Search engine to find Hospitals in Osaka Pref. ]

The following link will allow you to search for a medical institution that offer support in foreign languages, according to the region, language and medical department selected. 

Medical Institutions for Emergencies at Night and on Holidays

There are designated medical institutions open for emergencies at night, and on Sundays, national holidays, and at the year-end and New Years, when most other places are closed. The following site lists such emergency institutions in Osaka Prefecture.

Please note that this is not a list of hospitals and clinics with a foreign language service, but a list of establishments that you can use in emergency.


National Health Insurance (NHI)

Please refer the National Health Insurance page for detailed information.

Personal Accident Insurance for Students Pursuing Education and Research

All students at Osaka University are required to apply for this insurance plan. This will cover unforeseen disasters and accidents during educational and research activities and commuting to school. Natural disasters such as earthquakes are not included in the insurance. For further details, please ask Osaka University CO-OP.

<Contact Information for Inquiry>

University CO-OP Location TEL
Suita Campus Central Terrace (School of Engineering) 2F 06-6879-6509
Toyonaka Campus Welfare Center of University CO-OP Building 4F 06-6841-3326
Minoh Campus Research and Education Hub 3F 072-730-2743

Student Mutual Benefit (KYOSAI)

This insurance plan will cover the costs for illnesses or injuries during the time you are studying at the university. Members of University CO-OP are eligible to apply for this insurance. There are many types of insurances depending on the coverage.

For further details, please ask following counters at Osaka University CO-OP.

<Contact Information for Inquiry>

 University CO-OP
(General Affairs Counter)
Location TEL Business Hour
Suita Campus Central Terrace (School of Engineering) 2F 06-6879-6509 Mon-Fri 10:00AM – 4:00PM
Toyonaka Campus Welfare Center of University CO-OP Building 4F 06-6841-3307 Mon-Fri 10:00AM – 5:00PM
Minoh Campus Research and Education Hub 3F 072-730-2743 Mon-Fri 11:00AM – 2:00PM

Personal Liability Insurance for students (GAKUBAI)

This insurance will cover a student’s liability to others in daily life. Members of the University CO-OP who are affiliated with the Student Mutual Benefit program are eligible to apply for this insurance plan. For further details, please ask Osaka University CO-OP, the same contact for KYOSAI inquiry as above.

2. Other Procedures « » 4. Japanese Language Program
« Back to Index

Support Office

Suita Campus:
1-1 Yamadaoka Suita Osaka 565-0871 Japan
(Visa Procedures)
  Tel: +81-(0)6-6879-4750
  Tel: +81-(0)6-6879-4748

INTERNATIONAL PROGRAMS: Osaka University - Global 30

Osaka University

The information on this site is subject to change without notice.
Osaka University accepts no responsibility for any inconvenience resulting from use of the information contained on this site.