Foreigners wishing to enter Japan are required to apply at an overseas Japanese diplomatic establishment (embassy or consulate) for a visa that must be stamped in or attached to their passport, valid for travel to Japan. If they fail to obtain the appropriate type of visa, they might be denied entry into the country.
Therefore it is necessary to start the procedure to obtain an appropriate type of visa of your purpose of stay. The Certificate of Eligibility for Status of Residence which is issued by the Japanese Immigration Bureau is required for the visa application. It is advised to start this procedure 2 months prior to your expected arrival date to Japan. If you begin any later, you might not be able to obtain your visa in time, and it will be difficult for you to come to Japan as planned.

  1. About Visa and the Certificate of Eligibility for Status of Residence
  2. CESR Procedure
  3. Using the CESR Web Application System
  4. Necessary immigration procedure during your stay
  5. Useful Links

Support Office

Suita Campus:
1-1 Yamadaoka Suita Osaka 565-0871 Japan
(Visa Procedures)
  Tel: +81-(0)6-6879-4750
  Tel: +81-(0)6-6879-4748

INTERNATIONAL PROGRAMS: Osaka University - Global 30

Osaka University

The information on this site is subject to change without notice.
Osaka University accepts no responsibility for any inconvenience resulting from use of the information contained on this site.