1. About Visa and the Certificate of Eligibility for Status of Residence (CESR)

What is a visa?

A visa is a necessary requirement with the valid passport for a foreigner wishing to enter Japan and can be obtained at the Japanese Embassy or Consulate before coming to Japan.
A visa is an affirmation which shows that the person has a valid passport and is allowed to enter and stay in Japan.
Obtaining a visa is administered by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan

What is the Certificate of Eligibility for Status of Residence (CESR)?

A certificate of Eligibility for Status of Residence is issued before the visa application by a regional immigration authority under the jurisdiction of the Ministry of Justice and has the advantage of reducing the time required to obtain a visa and to complete immigration procedures. The application can be made by either an applicant or a proxy in Japan at the nearest regional immigration authority.
CESR is valid for three months after it is issued.
This certificate is not required for the application of the temporary visitor visa.

Which type of Visa do you need?


When you do not need CESR

Temporary Visitor Visa: International students who stay less than 90 days, and scholars who receive no salary and stay less than 90 days.

About Temporary Visitor Visa

Those students and scholars whose scheduled stay is less than 90 days in total, and who will receive no salary from Osaka University, can apply for a Temporary Visitor Visa by submitting the necessary documentation to the relevant Embassy or Consulate of Japan. You also need some documents from Osaka University for the application, so please contact the administrative staff of Osaka University.

【Refer to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs website】


Some countries have agreements in place with Japan that allows their residents to remain in Japan for up to 90 days without requiring a visa. If your country has such an agreement in place, then you are automatically entitled to remain in Japan for up to 90 days after your arrival, and do not need to apply for a Temporary Visitor visa.
Please refer to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs website to see if your country has visa exemption arrangements in place:


The period of stay granted at the time of the landing permission shall be the shortest period out of “15 days,” “30 days” or “90 days” that is long enough to cover the purpose of the stay of the foreign national (only 15 days for Brunei and Thai).
Nationals of countries and regions with visa exemptions recognizing stays of six months or less who wish to stay in Japan for more than 90 days must apply to the Ministry of Justice (Regional Immigration Bureau) for an extension of their period of stay.

When you need CESR

Support Office

Suita Campus:
1-1 Yamadaoka Suita Osaka 565-0871 Japan
(Visa Procedures)
  Tel: +81-(0)6-6879-4750
  Tel: +81-(0)6-6105-6966

INTERNATIONAL PROGRAMS: Osaka University - Global 30

Osaka University

The information on this site is subject to change without notice.
Osaka University accepts no responsibility for any inconvenience resulting from use of the information contained on this site.